The Best Ground Taco Meat
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for full disclosures.
This is the easiest and Best Ground Taco Meat to make with the perfect homemade taco seasoning blend. This recipe can do it all!
Who doesn't love tacos? In our house, someone is putting tacos on the menu all the time because the entire family loves them. Of course, this mama always says yes because hello, I love tacos too. Plus, they make the perfect easy weeknight dinner. This is going to come in handy since the new start of the school year is just around the corner.
What meat is the best to use for taco meat?
This can be a personal preference, but I like to use one of the following depending on what I have on hand and what I'm using it for.
- 80-90% lean ground beef
- Ground Turkey
- Ground Chicken
- Ground Pork
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
What spices are in taco meat?
This recipe uses my go-to Mexican Spice Blend.
- 2 TSP Smoked Paprika
- 2 TSP Cumin
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TSP Dried Shallots
- ½ TSP Black Pepper
- 1 TSP Dried Mexican Oregano
- 1 TSP Dried Cilantro
- ½ - 1 TSP Dried Jalapeno Pepper (depending on heat level desired)
- 1 TSP Chipolte Pepper
- ½ TSP Salt
Why make your own spice blend?
I prefer to make my own spice blends for a few reasons.
- They are less expensive - Many spice spends, including taco/ Mexican blends, are costly for the amounts you are getting, especially if you are buying organic or mixes you know are gluten-free.
- I can control the ingredients - A lot of blends use filler ingredients, and by making my own, I can control the ingredients, and therefore I can keep all the unwanted fillers. This includes possible gluten contaminates out of them since many blends contain anti-caking agents that can contain gluten.
- I don't have to run to the store to get more - You can make a batch of it to keep on hand to use when you need to.
How to use ground taco meat?
Taco meat can be used for so many different things beyond just tacos. Don't get me wrong. I love tacos (and eat more than my fair share, I'm sure).
This meat does excellent for other things like:
- Burritos/ Burrito Bowls
Any place you want a little bit of that fun taco flare.
More #tacotuesday Recipes to enjoy!
Print The Best Ground Taco Meat
- 1 lb Ground Beef or ground meat of choice
- 2 TBS Mexican Spice Blend see below for my favorite
- 1 TBS Avocado Oil
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 1 ½ C Bell Pepper diced
- 3 TBS Tomato Paste
- Cook and drain the meat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened, about 5- 10 minutes.
- Once the peppers and onions have started to soften, then add the spices, tomato paste and avocado oil and stir until coated.
- Use it in your favorite easy Mexican dish you want and enjoy!
2 TSP Smoked Paprika
2 TSP Cumin
1 TSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Dried Shallots
½ TSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Dried Mexican Oregano
1 TSP Dried Cilantro
½ – 1 TSP Dried Jalapeno Pepper (depending on heat level desired)
1 TSP Chipolte Pepper
½ TSP Salt