This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
Bring the restaurant home this taco Tuesday with this easy one skillet Mexican Style Rice.
I love taco nights; okay, let's just make that all the gluten-free Mexican food, haha. We have Mexican food more often than probably any other cuisine in our house. It's always a hit no matter what I am making. Of course, sometimes we want something on the side of all the tacos, and that's where my easy gluten-free skillet Mexican rice comes into play.
This gluten-free rice recipe is so full of flavor you will forget you made dinner at home and you aren't at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Why You'll Love It!
- Authentic flavor!
- Minimal prep work and simple ingredients!
- One skillet cooking!
- Ready in no time making it perfect any night of the week!
What You Need
- Rice - I usually use basmati or jasmine rice for this recipe.
- Avocado Oil - You can use another mild-flavored oil of choice if you prefer.
- White or Yellow Onion
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Chili Powder - Optional if you like more heat.
- Cilantro - Optional to top.
- Chicken Stock, veggie stock or water.
How to Make Mexican Rice
- Saute the onions and rice until the rice starts to brown a bit.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the rice to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover and let the rice cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Fluff the rice and serve alongside your favorite Mexican dish.
Tips and Tricks
Typically this recipe is made with long-grain white rice. I tend to use jasmine rice as that is what I usually have on hand. You can use what rice you prefer, even brown rice if that is what you like. Just note that the cooking time may be a bit longer, and you might need to add more liquid depending on the type of rice.
Feel free to add some drained black beans or corn to up the flavor and turn this simple side dish. You could even toss some shredded cheese and let me melt over the finished rice.
How to Serve
This easy skillet Mexican rice goes perfect alongside any of your favorite taco Tuesday recipes. Some of my favorites include enchiladas, with tacos or tossed into burrito bowls with my tequila lime chicken.
Leftovers will stay good in the fridge for four to five days.
Skillet Mexican Rice
- 1 ½ Cup Rice
- 1 Small White or Yellow Onion diced
- 2 TBS Avocado Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 14oz Dice Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder or Cayene for extra heat
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Warm a skillet with the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the rice and onions to the skillet and saute them unti l the rice starts to brown a bit.
- Once the rice has started to brown add the garlic and let it cook another one to two minutes.
- To the rice add the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- When the liquid comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes until the liquid is gone and the rice is fluffy.
- Serve the rice alongside your favorite Mexican dish and enjoy.