This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
Alice Springs Chicken is an easy-to-make seared chicken marinated with a honey mustard sauce and then topped with mushrooms, bacon, and melted cheeses.
This recipe is a copycat from Outback Steak House. It's a pretty good restaurant but not always the best at keeping things gluten-free, at least not the ones I've been to. This recipe was a favorite one from my husband because he loves mushrooms and bacon. So, of course, since we don't get out to Outback that often (the closest one currently is 2 hours away). I decided to make sure he could still enjoy this recipe even at home.
Ingredients in Alice Springs Chicken
- Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER-ONLY BONUSES.
How to Make Alice Springs Chicken
- Marinate the chicken.
- Cook the bacon.
- Saute the Mushrooms.
- Sear the chicken.
- Top the chicken with mushrooms, bacon, and cheese, drizzle it with the honey mustard sauce until the cheese is melted and the chicken is done, then enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Marinate the chicken - I like to let the chicken sit for at least two hours, but you can do it overnight. Don't have time to marinate? Reduce the sauce in a pan while the chicken cooks and pour it over the chicken, so you get the extra flavors of the Honey Mustard Sauce.
- Use thin chicken breasts - I find using thinner breasts works better for this dish. If you have thicker breasts on hand, cut them in half, making them as even as you can. This will ensure they cook at the same time, and the chicken stays juicy.
More Weeknight DInners
Alice Springs Chicken
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 C Mushrooms sliced
- 4-6 Slices Bacon
- 2 C Colby/ Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 TBS Avocado Oil or light cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
For the Sauce
- ½ C Dijon Mustard I use 365 Brand from Whole Foods or Primal Kitchen
- ½ C Honey
- ¼ C Mayonaise
- 1 ½ TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients and divide it into half.
- Place half of the marinade into a small ziplock bag or bowl with the chicken breasts and let it marinate 30 minutes or over night if desired.
When you are ready to cook the chicken
- In a skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until it is as crispy as you like it. I tend to let it get a little bit crispier for this dish since it is covered with sauce and cheese.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and remove all but 1-2 tbs of bacon fat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and let them sautee until they are nice and golden, and then remove them from the pan and set them aside with the bacon.
- Add the avocado oil to the pan and then place the marinated chicken in the skillet and sear it on both sides until the chicken is not quite all the way cooked through.
- Add the reserved sauce to the skillet with the chicken and then top it with the bacon, mushrooms and cheese.
- Place a lid over the skillet and let it cook about 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the chicken is done.
- Serve alongside your favorite side and veggies, drizzle with more sauce if desired and enjoy!