Sweet and Tangy Teriyaki Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for full disclosures.
This Sweet and Tangy Teriyaki Chicken recipe is perfect for any night of the week. With tender pieces of chicken tossed in a sticky teriyaki sauce that comes together in a few minutes, the whole family will be asking for more!
Need a quick and easy dinner for all those busy nights but want something with tons of flavor that will be a crowd pleaser for even the pickiest of eaters? Then you want to make this sweet and tangy teriyaki chicken tonight!
It's funny because this something my husband would order a lot from the Chinese place we went to in Kansas. I always wondered why they had it because technically, teriyaki is a Japanese cooking thing. Granted, I can't say the Chinese food restaurant did it any good since I never ate it there, but it certainly looked a little bit like their sweet and sour chicken. I guess the two really are kind of close but still not the same.
Don't worry, though; if you don't typically make Japanese food, this recipe is super simple to make.
It's All About The Sauce
Traditionally teriyaki sauce has four main ingredients, which are soy sauce, sake, mirin, and a type of sugar. Sake and mirin are actually types of rice base wines. So in order to make this completely grain-free, we had to change some things up a bit.
So what did I use?
- Sesame Oil
- Coconut Aminos
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Umami Powder - Totally optional, but it does add that more authentic umami flavor that traditionally comes from the mirin.
- Arrowroot Starch
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
Does the type of chicken matter?
Nope, not at all. I've used boneless chicken breast and even boneless thighs in this recipe, and it all works. You could also make the sauce and put it over some stir fry veggies and leave the chicken out together if you wanted. Because the sauce is the star of the show here and well everyone will want some!
Time to make dinner!
- Dice and cook the chicken with the sesame oil.
- Combine the remaining ingredients into a bowl and whisk them together.
- Add the sauce to the chicken when it's almost cooked through.
- Let the chicken simmer in the sauce until it thickens, and enjoy!
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yup! This recipe not only comes together in minutes, it's great to prep ahead. You can choose to cook the chicken and sauce separately or even all together. I often make little bowls for quick and easy pre-made lunches for my husband.
I love to serve this alongside some cauliflower rice, stir-fry veggies. Feel free to put it with your favorites.
More quick and easy dinners!
Sweet and Tangy Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 lb Chicken Cubed
- 2 TBS Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 C Pineapple Juice
- ¼ C Honey
- 1 C Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ C Coconut Aminos
- 1 ½ TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TSP Ground Ginger
- 1 TSP Ground Pepper
- 1 ½ TSP Salt
- 3 OZ Tomato Paste
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 TBS Sesame Seeds Optional
- 1 TBS Green Onion Optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the sesame oil and the chicken. Allow the chicken to cook, rotating as needed until the chicken is almost cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix till combined.
- Add the sauce mixture to the chicken, reduce the temperature and let it simmer until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve alongside your favorite rice, cauliflower rice, or even some stir-fry veggies on the side and enjoy!