Make these gluten-free crispy chicken sandwiches next time you want something out of the box for dinner. The whole family is sure to love them and ask for more!
Chicken sandwiches have always been something I've made over the years. I always tease my husband because before we were married, let us just say, his eating habits were not the best. I mean, I can't blame him since he was a single Army soldier living in the barracks. He absolutely HATED eating at the chow hall. So, for the most part, he always ordered Chinese food or pizza for delivery or went out to eat with some of the other guys.
One of their go-to places was this diner in town, and he would always get these crispy chicken burgers there. He was not one to experiment with his food so much, so he stuck to it once he found something he liked.
After we got married, let's just say we didn't eat out as much because he realized I could cook, haha. Of course, that didn't stop him from asking me to make some of his fast-food favorites. I might make these crispy chicken sandwiches gluten-free now, but that doesn't mean they aren't still completely delicious!
Why you will love this crispy chicken burger!
These crispy chicken sandwiches have all the feels of the ones you'd find at a restaurant. They are juicy, full of flavor, and have a nice crispy coating that brings it all together! One bite, and your family will be asking you to make them again and again!
- Ground Chicken
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- BBQ Seasoning My favorite blend can be found under sauces and condiments on the site.
- 1 TBS Brown Sugar
- Cayenne (Optional if you want some heat)
- Salt & Pepper
- Gluten-free Breadcrumbs
- Oil to fry if frying the patties.
A Note on Ingredients
- Eggs - These gluten-free crispy chicken sandwiches use eggs to help make the breading stick. However, you could sub in an egg substitute or lightly brush the frozen patties with some avocado oil to help the breading stick.
- Breadcrumbs - This recipe does call for breadcrumbs to bread the chicken patties. I like to make my own breadcrumbs, but you can use your favorite gluten-free breadcrumbs that you want.
- Want a Spicy Chicken Sandwich - Sometimes, I will up the heat on these chicken sandwiches by adding a ¼-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne to the chicken patties. If you like your chicken sandwiches with heat, don't be afraid to add it!
- Want to use ground turkey and turn these into gluten-free turkey burgers? You can; both types of meat are mild enough that you can substitute that if you prefer.
How to Make Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
- Mix the ground chicken and spices.
- Shape the patties.
- Freeze the patties.
- Coat the frozen patties with egg and breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry or bake the patties until done.
- Top with your favorites, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
I like to make each pattie the shape and size I want because these do not shrink up like traditional burgers can when they are cooked. I use my burger press to help make sure each one is equal in size.
This might sound odd, but it's the secret to getting them coated in the crispy breading. I like to freeze them two times. Once before, they are breaded for at least 30 minutes or until they are solid enough to handle and move. Depending on when I plan to make them, I will freeze them after they are breaded until I am ready to cook them. This ensures they are still whole when they are cooked, and the breading stays where I want it to.
Can these be made ahead of time?
Yes! I love these because they are really easy to make and have on hand whenever the mood strikes. Depending on how long I want to cook when I am ready, I will save them at different places.
- Freeze before breaded - Then, they just need to be breaded and cooked.
- Freeze after breaded - Then, they just need to be cooked.
- Freeze once cooked - This is my favorite way to do them for easy lunches. I will cook them, let them cook, and then place them between pieces of parchment paper in a freezer-safe container. Then when we want one, we can reheat them as needed for a quick lunch. I do find the breading stays crispier better if these are warmed in the oven.
Can you bake crispy chicken sandwiches?
Yes! In the directions, I say to pan fry them lightly and then finish them off in the oven to cook through as needed. You can skip the pan-frying and go directly to the oven. I just find the breading gets crispier when I pan fry them first.
Can you air fry the patties?
This is something newer that I have tried since I finally got an air fryer for Christmas. It works. I put the patties in my air fryer at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes from frozen or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Building Your Chicken Sandwich.
You can add whatever you like to your chicken sandwiches. Some of my families favorites are;
- Red Onion
Add what you like there is no wrong answer here. Stack everything on your favorite gluten-free buns. Some of my favorite store-bought ones are the Against the Grain Gourmet (check your freezer section at your store) and Canyon Bake House.
What to serve with gluten-free crispy chicken sandwiches?
Gluten-free Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
For the Chicken Patties
Make the Patties
- Mix the ground chicken and spices together in a bowl.1 Pound Ground Chicken, 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ Teaspoon Pultury Seasoning, 1 Teaspoon Salt, ½ Teaspoon Pepper, ½-1 Teaspoon Cayenne, 1 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 1 Teaspoon BBQ Seasoning
- Shape the ground chicken mixture into patties and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze the patties until solid enough to move, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a shallow dish make the egg wash and set it aside.2 Large Eggs, ¼ Cup Water
- In another dish combine the breadcrumbs and the spices.½-1 Teaspoon Cayenne, 2 Cups Gluten-free Bread Crumbs, 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ Teaspoon Parsley, ½ Teaspoon Pepper, 1 Teaspoon Salt, ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne
- Once the chicken patties are frozen, dredge the patties into the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs and place them back onto the baking sheet.
- Place the patties back into the freezer until ready to cook.
Cook the Chicken Sandwiches
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a small pan with the avocado oil.Oil to fry
- Place each chicken pattie into the pan to pan-fry a few minutes on each side until the breading is nice and golden.
- Return the pan-fried chicken patties to a baking sheet lined with a rack (this prevents the patties from getting soggy in the oven) and place them into the oven to thoroughly cook through as needed until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. This will take anywhere to 15-30 minutes, depending on how thick you made your patties.
- Remove the chicken patties from oven, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!