Creamy and rich, loaded cheesy mashed potato casserole brings the flavors of an ultimate potato bar to your dinner table. The combination of melted cheddar cheese, crispy bacon bits, and chives add a burst of savory goodness to every bite. Perfect as a side dish for Thanksgiving or any Holiday meal, they are a crowd-pleaser for any occasion!
Love loaded potato skins but not the hassle? This loaded, cheesy mashed potato casserole is here for you! Get all the delicious flavors without the extra steps and time. It's a simple and tasty solution to satisfy your loaded potato cravings.
Whether hosting a casual gathering or a formal Thanksgiving dinner, this cheesy mashed potatoes recipe will impress your guests, just like my loaded baked potato soup. The rich flavors make it a versatile dish that pairs well with any main course. Plus, it's a great way to use leftover potatoes and create a comforting meal everyone will love.
- Are Mashed Potatoes Gluten-free?
- How to Make Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole?
- Tips for Perfect Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Can you make Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Ahead of time?
- Can you freeze Mashed Potato Casserole?
- How to Serve Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole?
- More Gluten-free Side dishes
- 📖 Recipe
Are Mashed Potatoes Gluten-free?
A common question I hear is whether potatoes contain gluten. The answer is no – potatoes are gluten-free as they have potato starch. You only need to be cautious about gluten if the potatoes are breaded, deep-fried in a shared fryer, or mashed with gluten-containing ingredients. But in most cases, mashed potatoes are indeed gluten-free.
Here is what you need to make the ultimate twice-baked potato casserole, aka the best gluten-free mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon.
- Potatoes: Either russet or yukon gold potatoes will work. You can even make these into baby mashed potatoes with baby potatoes.
- Bacon: A must-have for loaded mashed potatoes. Check your labels, as not all bacon is gluten-free. Some brands have flavorings or additives that can contain gluten.
- Cream Cheese: Make the casserole rich and creamy.
- Sour cream: It gives the casserole a creamy and tangy flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese: Adds that delicious cheesy goodness to the dish.
- Milk: It gives the casserole a smooth and creamy texture.
- Butter: It adds richness and a smooth texture to the mashed potatoes.
- Eggs: Trust me on this one; it gives you that nice texture you love from traditional potato skins.
- Green Onion or Chives: These add a fresh and savory element to the casserole
- Spices: You'll need garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
See where that list is going? Doesn't it sound like it will bring back all those loaded potato skin vibes?
How to Make Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole?
Follow these simple steps to make the best gluten-free cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Start by boiling the potatoes until they're tender. You can boil the potatoes on the stovetop or boil potatoes in the instant pot.
- Cook and chop the bacon, shred the cheese, and chop the green onion.
- Mash the potatoes and stir them with all the other ingredients. Don't worry if they seem too liquidy; they'll dry out during baking.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a greased baking casserole dish. Smooth the top to make a uniform layer.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese and cooked bacon on top.
- Bake until golden, and enjoy your delicious cheesy mashed potatoes!
Tips for Perfect Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Here are my best tips to make this the best gluten-free potato casserole every time you make it.
Use potatoes you like- russet or golden potatoes work for this dish. I'm not a huge fan of russet potato skin, so if I use them, I will peel the potatoes before making them. If I want the skin's added texture, I will lean toward using golden and leaving the skin on.
Use cheese you like - I use our favorite cheddar cheese in these gluten-free cheesy potatoes, but you can switch it up or add more. I often do half and half of the cheddar and white cheddar cheese when making mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving or going with Christmas ham.
Make it a vegetarian cheesy potato casserole - You can leave off the bacon or use a vegetarian bacon substitute.
Can you make Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this mashed potato casserole ahead of time. Prep the potatoes up until you are ready to bake them, then cover and place the dish in the fridge until you are ready to bake. This can be made up to 2-3 days ahead of time.
Can you freeze Mashed Potato Casserole?
You can freeze mashed potato casserole. Let it cool completely, cover it with an airtight lid, and freeze it for up to six months. When you are ready to cook it up, thaw it completely in the fridge overnight and then bake it off as if it were fresh.
How to Serve Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole?
This gluten-free, loaded mashed potatoes recipe makes an easy side dish for any day of the year. It's delicious alongside my gluten-free fried chicken and adds more cheesy fun when paired with my gluten-free cheesy chicken.
Try my gluten-free white country gravy over these mashed potatoes.
Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- Cut and boil the potatoes until cooked and the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.2 ½ Pounds Russet or Golden Potatoes
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a bowl.
- Combine the butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper with the potatoes and mix until the potatoes are fluffy. I like to add some of the cheddar, bacon, and chives to the potatoes after they are mixed; just be sure to leave some for topping.½ Cup Butter, 1 ¼ Cup Milk, ⅓ Cup Cream Cheese, 1 Cup Sour Cream, 2 Large Eggs, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 ½ Teaspoon Salt, 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the bacon and cheese.½ Pound Cooked Bacon, 1-2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the potatoes for about 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with more chives and sour cream if desired.½ Cup Chives
- Serve along side your favorite dishes for a delicious side everyone will be asking for seconds for.