This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
This comforting gluten-free white chicken chili comes together in one pot and is ready to eat in only 30 minutes!
It's tailgating season, and that means the chili is on! I am a huge lover of chili; Come on, it's chili! I grew up in the south, but moving all around for my husband's military career, I've come to appreciate various chili recipes (along with the sometimes often strange things that people eat with it). Nebraska, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that one. One thing that I love is trying all the different kinds because, just like with each place we've traveled to or lived in over the years, all the different recipes are unique and fabulous in their way. That is why this recipe is a favorite one that I've put my little twist on to make sure that it's gluten-free white chicken chili.
It's really easy to cook chili for a crowd, and this recipe is absolutely delicious. It has tender chicken, chilies, white beans, spices, and a few extra things to keep you and everyone coming back for more over and over again. I mean, what's a tailgating party without good food, right?
Ingredients in gluten-free white chicken chili
- Avocado Oil
- Arrowroot Starch
- Chicken Stock - Make sure you are using a gluten-free chicken stock.
- Milk of Choice
- Cream Cheese
- Chicken - Cubed, or you can easily sub in some shredded rotisserie. Just make sure you are using a gluten-free rotisserie chicken.
- White Kidney Beans
- Diced Green Chilis - Check the can if you are wanting grain-free many varieties contain distilled vinegar which can be grain-derived.
- Poblano Pepper
- Frozen Corn (leave out for grain-free)
- Ancho Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper (If you want more heat.)
- Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Lime Wedges
- Your Favorite Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW GRAIN FREE TABLE ON PINTEREST TO MAKE IT EASY TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES!
Make white chicken chili your own.
- Keep this gluten-free white chicken chili completely grain-free by omitting the corn. You can just leave it out or If you want to replace it with another vegetable, you can swap it with some green bell pepper or celery. Check your green chilis to see if they contain any grain vinegar.
- Make this a gluten-free and dairy-free soup by substituting the milk for your favorite dairy-free milk, like coconut milk. You can also swap out the cream cheese for a bit of coconut cream or use a dairy-free greek-style yogurt.
- How do you make a gluten-free soup thicker? The arrowroot and cream cheese help to make this gluten-free chili thick. However, if you want it thicker, there are a few easy ways to do that. You can add more arrowroot starch to the liquid and let it simmer. Or you can reserve some of the beans and puree them before adding them to the chili. This will also help if you are keeping it dairy-free and not using the cream cheese.
How do you make gluten-free white chicken chili?
- Saute the vegetables.
- Add the arrowroot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and let it simmer.
Can you make gluten-free chicken chili in the slow cooker?
This white chicken chili is so easy to throw together in a slow-cooker. I prefer to still saute the vegetables before adding them, but that's totally optional. Otherwise, toss everything into the slow cooker and let it go on low for about 4-6 hours. If I am using raw chicken, I will add it whole and shred it into the pot once the soup is done.
How do you serve this gluten-free chicken soup?
This white chicken chili is delicious on its own. However, like with all soups sometimes it's the toppings that make it a bit more personal. My husband likes it topped with sour cream and cheese. I prefer to top this gluten-free chicken chili with avocado slices, cilantro, and a fresh squeeze of lime.
It is also good with some gluten-free tortilla chips thrown into it. You can even serve it alongside some fresh gluten-free cornbread. The possibilities are endless.
Can you make white chicken chili ahead of time?
Yes, you can. This gluten-free white chicken chili is one of my favorite gluten-free soups to make ahead of time and eat all week for an easy gluten-free meal prep. If I am making it for a party I love making it the day ahead so the flavors really develop.
This white chicken chili can be stored in a container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Can you freeze white chicken chili?
If you want to keep it longer, just place it in a freezer-safe container and store your white chicken chili in the freezer for up to three months.
How do you reheat white chicken chili?
Bring this gluten-free chili back to life when you are ready by letting it defrost in the fridge overnight and then simmer on medium heat until it is warmed through to your liking.
Next time you need something for your game day crowd or when you feel like you need a little bit of spice in your life, whip up a batch of this gluten-free white chicken chili and give it a try for yourself.
More gluten-free soups to love.
Gluten-free Chicken Tortilla Soup
Gluten-free Broccoli Cheese Soup
Gluten-free White Chicken Chili
- 1 small Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Milk of Choice
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Pounds Chicken Breast small diced or shredded
- 2 Cans White Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Diced Green Chilis
- 1 ½ Cups Frozen Corn omit for grain-free
- 1 Jalapeno diced
- 1 Poblano Pepper diced
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- Toppings of choice
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro Optional
- In a pot over medium heat add the avocado oil, peppers, onion and garlic and sauté until soften and the garlic is fragrant.1 small Yellow Onion, 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil, 1 Jalapeno, 1 Poblano Pepper, 4 Cloves Garlic
- Add the arrowroot to the veggies and stir until no lumps of flour remain and the veggies are coated.2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- Combine the remaining ingredients except the cilantro to the pot.3 Cups Chicken Stock, 1 Cup Milk of Choice, 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, 1 Pounds Chicken Breast, 2 Cans White Kidney Beans, 1 Can Diced Green Chilis, 1 ½ Cups Frozen Corn, ¼ Cup Lime Juice, 2 Teaspoon Cumin, 2 Teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder, ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ½ Teaspoon Oregano, 2 Teaspoon Salt, 1 ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- Bring the liquid to a low boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through. about 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked shred (if needed) and return it to the pot.
- If you need to adjust the thickness do it now. (see notes)
- Stir in chopped cilantro and a bit more fresh lime.½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Top with cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, or cilantro and enjoy!
Leave a comment.