Pancakewich Breakfast Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here for full disclosures.
Skip the crowded drive-through lane and make the easiest and more delicious Pancakewich Breakfast Sandwiches at home instead!
Sometimes recipes come from research, and sometimes recipes get put together because my husband gets random food when he goes to the shoppette (gas station on a military post) in the mornings. (He doesn’t have to be gluten-free) That’s where this breakfast idea came from.
What is it? He calls it a Pancakewich. Yeah, that sounds weird, but it’s just a fun twist on a classic breakfast sandwich.
Our youngest was the first one to insist I make this for daddy since she saw he had it one day and, well, she wanted to be like daddy. So I reluctantly started assembling what he described to me. Let me just say; I don't know if it's because it's been like FOREVER since I've eaten a fast-food breakfast sandwich, but I was thinking this was going to taste like a hot mess. Well, I was wrong, lol. So now these pancakewich breakfast sandwiches are a regular in our house, and my husband wasn't crazy after all.
Ingredients in Pancakewich Breakfast Sandwich
Let's Talk Breakfast Meat
Just like most breakfast places, you can usually pick between a few different meat options. I've made these with bacon, Canadian bacon (I use Applegate brand), and even breakfast sausage. All of them are entirely delicious! My husband prefers them with breakfast sausage, so that's usually what I make them with.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
Tips and Tricks
To make the assembly easier, I like to do a few things. I mean, who wants to shape several breakfast sandwiches by hand?
Baking the eggs: I like to make my eggs as if I am going to make some of my easy omelets, and instead of making omelets, I will pour them into a lightly buttered 9x13 baking dish and bake them in the oven. The eggs usually take about 15 minutes or so just until the eggs are set. Then I will slice the eggs into nine squares that fit easily onto the pancakewich breakfast sandwich.
Breakfast Sausage: Just like with the eggs, I will do the same with breakfast sausage. I will mix a batch of the meat and then place it between two parchment papers and roll it into a large rectangle. I have noticed that the shape shrinks slightly, so I always go it slightly bigger than I think I want. Then just like the eggs, I will cut them up, and they are ready to assemble.
How to Assemble a Pancakewich Breakfast Sandwich
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- Butter one side of the cooked pancakes.
- Place a piece of egg on top of one pancake.
- Top the eggs with your meat of choice.
- Add the cheese on top of the meat.
- Put another pancake on top to complete the sandwich.
- Dip it in syrup or a sweet addition if desired, and enjoy!
Can you make these ahead of time?
Absolutely! I will make a few batches of these and store them in the freezer for a quick breakfast on busy mornings.
To Make Ahead of Time:
- Assemble the Pancakewiches.
- Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place the assembled breakfast sandwiches into a Ziploc bag or freezer-safe container.
When you are ready to eat them:
- Remove the sandwich from the freezer and remove the wrapping.
- Place a paper towel around the sandwich and microwave in 30-second increments until the desired temperature is reached. I usually do them for about a minute and a half in our microwave.
More Breakfast Fun
Pancakewich Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 Batch Pancakes cooked
- Meat of Choice Breakfast Sausage, Bacon, Canadian Bacon, ect.
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- Butter or ghee
- Maple Syrup optonal for dipping
- Prepare your meat of choice and eggs, let them cook and slice as desired.
- While the meat and eggs cook, prepare your pancakes.
- Arrange your desired ingredients into an assembly line.
- Starting with a pancake, butter one side and place the cooked eggs on top of the pancake.
- Top the eggs with your desired meat of choice.
- Place a piece of cheese on top of the meat.
- Add another pancake to close the sandwich.
- Enjoy or store to enjoy later!