Sad chicken dinner is no more because tonight you're making the easiest and most delicious Crispy Cheddar Crusted Chicken that the whole family will love!
We all know how boring chicken dinners can be, especially when making dinner fast because we are running in all directions during the week. That's why I love mixing things up and taking what could be boring and turning it into something that the whole family will love and ask for all the time. This Crispy Cheddar Chicken recipe will quickly become a favorite in your house just as much as it is in mine.
What's to love?
- Simple ingredients!
- Easy to make!
- Ready in minutes!
- Pairs well with a variety of sides!
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Gluten-free Bread Crumbs
- Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour - I use the Pillsbury blend for this recipe but feel free to use what you like and have on hand.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil for Cooking
Tips and Tricks
I like to use thin chicken breasts for this recipe because I find they cook faster and more evenly. If you have thicker breasts, feel free to slice them thinner to pound them out until they are about ¼ inch thick.
Use a food processor or blender to make the coating. You want it to look like one mixture. This helps it stick to the chicken better without the cheese melting out the crust and off of the chicken.
The short answer is no it acts like a binding element in the coating bringing the breadcrumbs and the cheese together.
Let's get cooking!
- Prep the chicken.
- Make the coating.
- Dip the chicken into the eggs and then cover in the coating.
- Either pan-fry the chicken in a skillet or toss it in the oven and bake. (If you want it crispier, I suggest pan-frying it. but it's delicious either way.)
How to serve
This crispy cheddar chicken is so versatile you can really serve it how you like. I've done everything from some simple mashed potatoes and veggies to getting a little more fun like my loaded mashed potatoes.
You can even load these chicken breasts into some lettuce or onto a gluten-free bun for a fun twist on a chicken sandwich.
Want something a little healthier? I always slice these over a salad for some fun flavor that makes a salad anything but boring. The possibilities are truly endless.
Leftovers and Make-ahead
I like to make the breading mixture ahead of time and then put it into a container or ziplock bag in the freezer until I am ready to coat the chicken. I prefer the freezer instead of the fridge because the cold breading helps keep the cheese more solid when it comes time to cook.
Leftovers of the cooked chicken will stay good in the fridge for about 2-3 days. I prefer reheating it in a warm skillet with a bit of light cook oil to help the breading crisp up again.
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
- Food Processor or Blender
- Prepare the chicken. I like to make sure the chicken is about ¼ inch thick so it cooks evenly and quick in the skillet.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, flour, cheddar cheese and spices into a food processor blender and pulse until combined. The mixture should look like one and you should not be able to see large pieces of any one ingredient when it is done.
- In a shallow dish mix the eggs, adding a bit of water if desired and place the coating mixture into another shallow dish.
- Dredge the chicken pieces into the eggs and then into the coating mixture and set aside while you coat the rest of the chicken.
- In a skillet warm a few tablespoons of light cooking oil, over medium-high heat i prefer avocado oil.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked throuh and the ouside is golden.
- If you prefer to cook this in the oven place the chicken onto a paking sheet and cook it in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve it alongside your favorites sides and enjoy.