This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
This gluten-free Shepherds Pie is a classically vintage recipe that is beyond delicious, ridiculously comforting, so easy to throw together; you'll be making it all year long.
There is a debate on whether it's technically called shepherds pie or cottage pie, depending on who makes it and the ingredients. I know this classic comfort food is a staple around our house all year long. The warm, comforting filling, topped with creamy mashed potatoes it's the ultimate meat and potatoes recipe. No matter what you call it, it's still delicious.
So what is it that makes this recipe stand the test of time for so long?
- Simple to make!
- Ready in under an hour!
- Full of flavor!
- It uses simple ingredients!
Ingredients to make Shepherd's pie gluten-free.
Traditionally a Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb, while cottage pie is made with beef. There are some talks that the cottage pie term also came from the Irish peasants of the time because they lived in cottages. You really can use either, or I mean, why couldn't you use ground turkey for the matter. I mean, it is not the 21st century, after all.
I tend to use beef in this recipe since it's easier to get a hold of where we live, so maybe I should be calling this my gluten-free cottage pie.
- Ground Meat of Choice
- Arrowroot Starch is what I use instead of flour in shepherds pie to keep it gluten-free.
- Olive Oil
- Beef Broth
- Coconut Aminos You can use worcestershire Sauce instead, just make sure the brand you are using is labled gluten-free.
- Tomato Paste
- Bay Leaf
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
How simple is this to make?
- Cook and mash the potatoes
- Brown and drain the meat.
- Add the veggies (except the peas) and saute.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir in the butter and arrowroot starch.
- Pour in the beef broth, spicecs and peas.
- Let the mixture simmer and thicken.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a baking dish.
- Cover the meat mixture with a layer of potatoes.
- Bake until it turns slightly golden and filling is bubbling.
Making shepherds pie your way.
You can make shepherd's pie with traditional ground lamb. Or you can use ground beef, making this more of a gluten-free cottage pie. You can even use ground meat of your choice like ground turkey.
I typically use golden potatoes to make the mashed potatoes for this recipe. Feel free to use russets or even mashed sweet potatoes on top of your shepherd's pie if that is what you prefer.
If you want your potatoes more golden you can place your baking dish under the broiler for about five minutes to give the potatoes a golden crust that makes the dish even better.
This cottage pie recipe tends to bubble up along the edges, which can end up in a big mess in your oven. Save yourself some cleaning, and just place the dish on a baking tray in the oven when you cook it.
Make it ahead of time
This cottage pie dish makes a perfect gluten-free freezer meal. Put it all together, let it cool and then cover and store it in the freezer until you are ready to eat it. I like to let it defrost for a few hours in the fridge and then bake it off until it's warm and bubbly.
More Easy Dinners to Enjoy
Easy Gluten-free Shepherds Pie
- 1 lb Potaotes
- 4 TBS Butter
- ½ C Milk of Choice
- 1 TSP Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
For the Filling
- 1 lb Ground Meat of Choice Beef, Turkey, Lamb ect.
- 1 Small Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Medium Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 C Mushrooms diced
- 1 C Peas I use frozen
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS Butter
- 1 TBS Garlic minced
- 2 TBS Arrowroot Starch You can also use potato startch.
- 1 C Beef Broth You can sub chicken if you want.
- 2 TBS Tomato Paste
- 2 TBS Coconut Aminos
- 1 ½ TSP Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Cut, Boil, Drain, and Mash the Potatoes and then set them aside.1 lb Potaotes
- While the potatoes are cooking, start the meat filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown the meat and then drain away the excess fat.1 lb Ground Meat of Choice
- To the meat add the diced onions and carrots and mushrooms and cook until the onions start to soften.1 Small Yellow Onion, 2 Medium Carrots, 1 C Mushrooms
- Next add the garlic and let it cook with the other vegetables 3-5 minutes.1 TBS Garlic
- Stir in the arrowroot starch and butter, let it cook till the flour is no longer visible and then put in the tomato paste and the beef broth.2 TBS Arrowroot Starch, 2 TBS Butter
- Stir in the frozen peas, and spices until the peas just start to defrost.1 C Peas
- Let the mixture simmer 3-5 minutes and then remove it from the heat.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a lightly buttered baking dish and let it rest about 5 minutes.
- Prepare your mashed potatoes to your liking.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer over the meat filling, making sure not to mix it into it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes start to get golden and the filling is starting to bubble.
- Allow it to cool 5-10 minutes before serving and enjoy!