This easy gluten-free beef stroganoff recipe will quickly become a family favorite with its juicy beef strips smothered in creamy mushroom gravy and ready in 30 minutes!
This gluten-free beef stroganoff is one of those classic easy family skillet meals. My husband used to talk about beef stroganoff when we were first married and how it was one of his favorite dinners when he was growing up. Hearing that, I decided to make it one night, and he was completely in love and asked me what I did differently to make it so good. I was a little confused because beef stroganoff is a pretty simple recipe. Needless to say, what he was talking about was a version of a hamburger helper, you know, the kind I'm talking about. So when I made it from scratch, of course, it was better. He's asked for me to make it often ever since then.
This gluten-free beef stroganoff recipe uses only a few simple ingredients to make a delicious easy dinner recipe that is perfect for any night of the week.
- Ribeye or Sirloin Steak
- Olive Oil
- Arrowroot Starch
- Butter or Ghee
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- Sour Cream or Dairy-free Alternative
- Dijon Mustard
- Gluten-free Pasta, Potatoes, or Rice to Serve
Ingredient information and substitutions.
- Best kind of steak for beef stroganoff? - You want to make sure to use a good cut and quality of steak for beef stroganoff. I tend to use boneless ribeye or beef sirloin. Beef tenderloin could also be used. If you want to use ground beef, you could as well. Just cook the ground beef in the pan first and drain the excess grease before continuing.
- Ground beef stroganoff. - If you prefer to make this gluten-free beef stroganoff with ground beef, you can. Just cook the ground beef and drain any excess grease before adding the mushrooms and onions.
- Best mushrooms for gluten-free stroganoff? - Any type of mushrooms you like can be used. If you or someone you are cooking for don't usually like mushrooms, I would suggest sticking with white button mushrooms as they are milder in flavor. You could also use crimini mushrooms that are more flavorful but often used interchangeably with the white button. If you want a bolder flavor, you can use portobellos. Whatever you decide, it will still be delicious.
- Worcestershire sauce. - Make sure the brand of Worcestershire sauce is gluten-free. I use the brand Lea and Perrins, which is gluten-free.
- Dairy-free beef stroganoff. - This gluten-free beef stroganoff recipe does contain dairy with a little bit of butter and sour cream. These two ingredients can easily be subbed for dairy-free alternatives to keep this stroganoff recipe dairy-free
Tips and tricks.
Thinly slice the steak. - You want to make sure that your steak is sliced thinly and evenly. To get the need sliced thinly without it tearing, place the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing. When it's slightly frozen, it is more solid, and it will make it easier for the beef to slice thinly the way you want it to.
Follow these simple steps to find out just how easy it is to make gluten-free beef stroganoff.
- Prep the ingredients.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions.
- Sear the steak.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the steak.
- Make the sauce.
- Simmer till thick.
- Serve as desired.
Beef stroganoff FAQ.
Traditional beef stroganoff does contain gluten, usually found in the thickening agents for the sauce as well as the pasta it is served with. To make gluten-free beef stroganoff, make sure that all of the recipe ingredients are, in fact, gluten-free before consuming while on a gluten-free diet.
Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish that is made with a beef sauce that is thickened with flour or corn starch to make a creamy sauce served with beef and usually noodles.
I like to serve beef stroganoff over our favorite Barilla chickpea pasta. It's the one pasta that I have found that holds its shape, has a mild flavor like traditional pasta, and is grain-free. You can use your favorite gluten-free pasta or serve it over mashed potatoes or even rice.
Store this gluten-free beef stroganoff in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheating: To warm up cold beef stroganoff, I find it works best in a skillet over medium-low heat with a little bit of extra beef stock to help bring the sauce back to life.
More quick and easy gluten-free dinners.
Easy Gluten-free Beef Stroganoff
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 ½ Pounds Beef Sirloin
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion sliced
- 2 Cups Crimini Mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter or ghee, or dairy-free alternative
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Cup Sour Cream or dairy-free alternative
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Cup Worcerstershire Sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Fresh Parsley
- 1 Box Gluten-free Noodles of Choice or potatoes or rice if desired
- Slice the beef against the grain into thin slices. I like to cut them about ⅛ inch thick. Lightly dust with salt and pepper and set aside.1 ½ Pounds Beef Sirloin
- Cook the gluten-free noodles, potatoes, or rice and set aside.1 Box Gluten-free Noodles of Choice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onions, and sliced mushrooms until tender, about 5-7 minutes.1 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Medium Yellow Onion, 2 Cups Crimini Mushrooms
- Add the sliced beef to the pan with the onions and mushrooms and cook until slightly browned about another 5 minutes.1 ½ Pounds Beef Sirloin
- Add in the butter or ghee and stir until melted.3 Tablespoons Butter
- Dust the arrowroot starch over the meat mixture and stir until the flour is no longer visible and slightly cooked, about 1-2 minutes.2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- Pour in the beef broth, coconut aminos, dijon mustard, and spices into the mixture and bring it to a simmer.3 Cups Beef Broth, 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard, ¼ Cup Worcerstershire Sauce, 1 ½ Teaspoons Salt, 1 Teaspoon Pepper, 1 ½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder, 1 ½ Teaspoons Fresh Parsley
- Let the sauce simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream or DF alternative.1 Cup Sour Cream
- Stir in the gluten-free pasta or serve over your favorite mashed potatoes or rice if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!