This Easy Homemade Cinnamon Apple Granola will bring the right amount of sweetness and heat to every bite. It's perfect for fall!
The official day of fall is right around the corner, which means I love all the fall flavors. Granted, this year, it doesn't look like we are going to get to do our annual apple picking since the farm we've gone to the last few years is farther than we are traveling this year.
That isn't going to stop me from making all my favorite apple recipes. I mean, they aren't freshly picked, but this mama is still buying all the apples I can find.
One of the things I love making for my girls is homemade granola. They love it as a sweet little treat for an easy breakfast with their favorite yogurt or even covered in some coconut milk. I love to change up the flavors when I make it for them, and this Cinnamon Apple Granola is their favorite for fall.
Why you will love it!
- Simple Ingredients
- Easy to Make
- Perfect to Make Ahead
- Taste Like Fall!
- Gluten-Free Old Fashion Oats - I use Bob's Red Mill
- Butter or Coconut Oil
- Apple Sauce
- Egg White
- Dried Apples
- Chopped Pecans or Walnuts (optional)
A Note on Oats: Oats are naturally gluten-free, but they are easily contaminated when they are harvested and packaged. This is the reason I always look for gluten=free oats like the ones I can get from Bob's Red Mill.
How to Make Granola the Easy Way!
- Preheat the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients (minus apples) into a bowl.
- Then mix the remaining wet ingredients together and then add them to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the egg white until it is white and fluffy and then fold it into the oat mixture.
- Toss everything together until everything is coated and is almost like wet sand.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Remove the granola from the oven and add the dried apples and gently press them into the warm granola.
- Allow the granola to completely cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container to store.
How to Get Extra Crunchy Granola
Use Old Fashion Oats - They retain the best texture.
Use the Egg White - Yes, you can technically make this recipe and leave out the egg, so it is egg-free, but the whisked egg white helps create clusters of granola and make it extra crunchy.
If you can handle dairy, you can also add ½ C of buttermilk to the mixture and let it sit 30 minutes before spreading it out to bake. The liquid will bring out the starches in the oats creating a nice coating when they are baked.
Tips and Tricks
Dried Fruit - If you plan to store the granola, I will wait to add the dried fruit until you plan to eat it. If the granola is stored for more than a week, the dried fruit can get a little hard. If it is getting eaten within the week, you can add it to the cooling granola.
Dried fruit should not be cooked with the granola.
Eating Homemade Granola
- In a bowl with milk!
- Over some yogurt!
- In a smoothie bowl!
- As a snack!
- And More!
More Recipes you'll like
Easy Homemade Cinnamon Apple Granola
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts (if using) sugar, salt and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan combine the butter, honey, molassas and vanilla over medium heat.
- When the mixture just starts to boil take it off the heat and stir in the apple sauce, then pour it over the bowl with the oats to combine.
- Mic the wet ingredients into the dry until it is evenly coated.
- In another small bowl whisk the egg white until it is white and frothy and then fold it into the oat mixture.
- Spread the oat mixture onto the baking sheet lightly pressing it down.
- Bake the granola in the oven, about 30 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown stirring occationally.
- Remove the granola from the oven and add the chopped dried apples to the top, lightly pressing them in.
- Allow the granola to cool completely before breaking it up and storing it in an airtight container and enjoying!