Turn what you know about these little green heads upside down because you'll fall in love with these Dijon Bacon Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese!
I get it. Brussel sprouts are not one of those commonly loved vegetables. They are often associated with those little soggy green balls with no flavor except something that seems like it died before it made it to your fork. Trust me, though, these are NOT those Brussel sprouts.
In fact, one day, I was eating a bowl of leftovers outside while me and some of the other moms were watching the kids play, and our daughter came up to me asking for a bite. A neighbor was convinced we were crazy to like them but then decided to try them. Our daughter went inside and grabbed a few and put them into a bowl to bring outside for them. Her eleven-year-old was hooked. So now she makes them for her family. All because she thought we were crazy for liking these little heads.
What makes these delicious?
- Crispy, not soggy!
- Full of flavor!
- Easy to make, making them perfect for weeknight dinners to holiday tables!
Okay, let's be honest Brussel sprouts on their own can be boring, but pairing them with a few simple ingredients can make them go from gross to totally yum!
- Brussel Sprouts
- Dijon Mustard - I use 365 Everday Brand from Whole Foods.
- Coconut Aminios
- Olive Oil
- Goat Cheese - Leave off if wanting dairy-free.
Let's Get Cooking!
This brussels sprouts recipe is really easy to make and requires only a few simple steps.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts.
- Cook the bacon.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions.
- Toss everything together.
- Add the sauce.
- Add the bacon and crumbled goat cheese, and enjoy!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
Tips and Tricks
This might seem like an extra step instead of just cooking them in the pan with the rest of the veggies. However, trust me, roasting the Brussels sprouts makes the difference in the final texture of the dish that you won't want to miss. You don't want little mushy balls; you want tender but slightly crisp brussels sprouts.
This helps to maintain the crunch and creaminess texture to the dish.
Or use your favorite dairy-free alternative.
Storing and Reheating
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
To reheat - I find it best to warm the brussels sprouts in a skillet and then top with additional goat cheese.
I do NOT recommend freezing as it changes the texture of the brussels sprouts, making them more watery.
More Veggie Side Dishes
Dijon Bacon Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese
- 2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts about 4 cups
- 4 Stips Bacon
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 2 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard I use 365 brand from Whole Foods or primal kitchens.
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos or gluten-free worcestershire sauce.
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil divided
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Salt
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic, minced or 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoons Pepper
- ½ Cup Goat Cheese crumbled - omit for dairy-free
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim the brussls sprouts, removing any back leaves and then cut them in half.2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts
- Place the brussels sprouts on a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly coat with half the olive oil. Roast the brussels sprouts for about 30-45 minutes, or until they are cooked and slightly crispy.2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts, 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- While the brussels sprouts are in the oven, cut the bacon into small pieces in a skillet and ocok it till it's cruspy.4 Stips Bacon
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and drain all but about 1-2 TBS of bacon fat from the pan.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the bacon fat and saute them until they start to caramelize.1 Small Onion, 2 Cup Mushrooms, 3-4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the goat cheese to a small bowl, and combined.¼ Cup Dijon Mustard, ¼ Cup Honey, 3 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos, 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 ½ Tablespoons Salt, 1 Teaspoons Pepper
- WHen the brussels sprouts are out of the oven toss them into the pan with the onions and mushrooms.
- Toss in the sauce and stir to coat.
- Topp with the crumbed bacon and goat cheese right before serving and enjoy!½ Cup Goat Cheese