This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
When it comes to a good classic southern breakfast, you can never go wrong with a country style breakfast skillet with some sausage gravy
This incredibly delicious breakfast skillet with sausage gravy is the perfect breakfast for the entire family. Breakfast rules in our house, I get requests for me to make breakfast foods all the time. We are a family who eats breakfast for dinner on a fairly regular basis. You will never hear me complain though because I love it just as much as the rest of the family does.
I, however, am more of a savory breakfast fan, where our girls are for sure more sweet breakfast lovers. They could eat pancakes and waffles all day, every day if I let them. I like to switch things up a bit. This breakfast skillet was inspired a little bit by my husband and a little bit of my southern roots. One of my husband’s first loves of food is chicken fried steak. He’s also a complete and utter meat and potatoes kind of guy. So I decided to combine those two into one and make him this country breakfast skillet, of course, complete with homemade country gravy, just because I can. I mean who wouldn't love breakfast with gravy? Just think of this recipe as an easy way to make gluten-free biscuits and gravy, without all the extra work.
Ingredients in Country Breakfast Skillet with Gravy
It sounds pretty simple, right? It is, I promise. When it comes to this recipe, you can either make your own homemade breakfast sausage or feel free to cut up your favorite store-bought kind. When I am not feeling like making some, or I don’t have any on hand, I like to cut the Applegate Chicken and Sage breakfast sausage to use in this skillet. You can even use some of the Jimmy Dean breakfast sauce that is gluten-free.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
How to Make Country Breakfast Skillet with Gravy
- Make the skillet potatoes.
- Next, cook the sausage how you want it.
- Cook the eggs to your liking. You can either scramble or fry; it's totally up to you.
- Make the Gravy.
- Put it all together and top with the gravy and enjoy!
Making it Ahead of Time
This is actually a breakfast I will make ahead and put into portions for my husband to make it an easy meal prep. All I do is make each of the components ahead of time, let them cool, assemble them into containers and freeze.
The potatoes and sausage are also easy to prep individually, so you can have them on hand when you want to whip this up in a flash.
Making it Dairy-free
This recipe is quite easy to make dairy-free. Just use ghee when making the potatoes and eggs and sub the milk in the gravy for coconut milk or your dairy-free milk of choice.
More Breakfast Fun
Country Breakfast Skillet
For the Skillet
- 1 Batch Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 Batch Homemade Country Breakfast Sausage or sausage of choice
- 6 Large Eggs cooked how you like them
For the Gravy
- 2 TBS Butter or Ghee
- 2 TBS Potato Starch
- 2 C Milk of Choice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 TBS Black Pepper
- 1 TBS Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Sage
- Make the potatoes.
- Add the sausage to the potatoes and cook. If you are using store-bought, cook to package instructions. When I use sausage links, I usually cut them into four pieces to make them closer to the potato sizing.
- Cook the eggs to your liking. I usually end up scrambling the eggs directly into the pan with the potatoes and sausage.
- Combine everything and top with gravy and enjoy!
For the Gravy
- Combine the butter and potato starch to make a paste.
- Cook the roux in a medium saucepan for about 1 minute until it starts to cook.
- Slowly add the milk of choice and stir the whole time until it starts to thicken. Stir frequently until thick, adding more milk to thin, as necessary.
- When the gravy has thickened, add your spices.