Have you ever wondered if Smarties are gluten-free? Find out the answer and more about these popular little candies.
Smarties in the U.S. are a type of sweet, tropical candy in the shape of little tablets in various colors. They come wrapped in clear plastic in little rolls and are a popular candy, especially around Halloween. But did you know there is Smarties Chocolate in Canada and other countries, which is different than the Smarties in the US?
The Quick Answer - Are Smarties gluten-free?
The answer to whether or not Smarties are gluten-free lies in where in the world you are buying Smarties candies and which variety. Smarties candies can either be wafer sugar candies or candy-coated chocolate candy.
Smarties in the U.S.
In the U.S., Smarties are small little pieces of tropical candy that come in six different flavors. These flavors are orange, pineapple, cherry, strawberry, grape, and orange cream, with each flavor a different color.
Smarties in Canada and Other Countries
- Smarties outside of the United States, for example, in Canada, are actually little candy-coated chocolate pieces. These are similar to M&M's.
- These chocolate smarties contain wheat flour, which makes them not gluten-free and not safe for those on a gluten-free diet to consume. So be sure you are always checking ingredient labels when you are looking at candy from different places around the world.
Note: These Smarties chocolate candies are also popular in the UK, Germany, Australia, and other countries.
Looking at this bag of Halloween Smarties candies bought in the U.S.; the ingredients are as follows.
- Dextrose, citric acid, calcium stearate, natural and artificial flavors, color (red 40 lake, yellow 5 lake, yellow 6, lake blue 2.)
- According to the packaging, smarties do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
Note: Smarties packaging is not labeled certified gluten-free.
- In the U.S., according to their manufacturer, "Smarties® and our entire line of products are free from the nine major food allergens. All products are free of milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soy, and sesame." (https://www.smarties.com/our-candy/)
- With that, it makes smarties safe for people with various food allergies and intolerances to consume them safely.
- Smarties are even considered vegan candy.
Note: Smarties (in the U.S.) do contain corn or corn derivatives, so smarties are not considered grain-free, but they are gluten-free.
Smarties, tropical wafer candy sold in the U.S., are gluten-free and safe to consume on a gluten-free diet. Smarties chocolate candies sold around the world are not gluten-free and should not be consumed on a gluten-free diet.
More Gluten-free Candy Details
Find out if your favorite Halloween candy is actually gluten-free. Don't see one you want to know about? Feel free to ask, and I will see what I can find out.
Feel free to share this article with friends and family to help more people know how to help keep loved ones gluten-free.