This southern chicken tetrazzini casserole is the ultimate chicken spaghetti, a mixture of chicken and pasta in a creamy, cheesy sauce; it's the ultimate comfort food in a gluten-free chicken casserole.
If you love a good chicken casserole, you need to make this easy chicken tetrazzini recipe. Don't let the name confuse you because this recipe is easy to make and comes together in no time. It is the ultimate mixture of a creamy and cheese mushroom sauce tossed with gluten-free pasta and chicken and then baked to perfection.
This gluten-free chicken tetrazzini is the ultimate gluten-free chicken spaghetti recipe that is so full of flavor while only using easy ingredients.
- Glute-free Spaghetti
- Cornstarch or Arrowroot Starch
- Chicken Starch
- Lemon Juice
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
- Gluten-free Breadcrumbs
You can see this easy chicken tetrazzini casserole does not use any cream of mushroom soup, but I promise, the sauce is still creamy and delicious.
Ingredient notes and substitutions.
- Gluten-free Spaghetti - Use whatever brand of gluten-free pasta you like.
- Chicken - This recipe is the perfect time to use up some leftover chicken or even some shredded rotisserie chicken. It also makes the perfect leftover Thanksgiving turkey tetrazzini recipe. You can even substitute the chicken for tuna and even ham for a tuna or ham tetrazzini.
- Arrowroot Starch - You can also use corn starch.
- Chicken Stock - Make sure you are using a gluten-free chicken stock since not all broths and stocks are gluten-free.
- Gluten-free Breadcrumbs - I either make my own gluten-free breadcrumbs or I use Kikkoman gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
See just how easy it is to make this gluten-free chicken pasta recipe.
- Cook the chicken (or shred your leftover chicken) and pasta.
- Saute the mushrooms and garlic.
- Make the creamy pasta sauce.
- Mix the sauce, chicken, vegetables, and cheese together.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce mixture.
- Transfer the pasta to a baking dish, top with more cheese and the breadcrumbs, and bake.
This gluten-free chicken tetrazzini is the perfect make-ahead meal. Make this creamy chicken pasta casserole as directed and then cover it before placing it in the fridge for up to 48 hours before baking.
Can you freeze chicken tetrazzini? - Yes, just like with making it ahead of time, this gluten-free creamy chicken casserole can be covered and frozen for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat it, let it defrost in the fridge overnight before baking it according to the directions.
Storing and reheating.
Storing this leftover chicken spaghetti, let the chicken tetrazzini and then store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can warm the leftover chicken spaghetti in the microwave or place it back in the oven at 350 degrees until it's warmed through.
Don't know what to serve with this gluten-free creamy chicken spaghetti?
I find this chicken spaghetti is usually a complete meal with my family since it has everything in it. However, I often serve it with a simple side salad or even some fresh gluten-free bread since it's so easy to make.
More gluten-free chicken pasta recipes to enjoy.
Gluten-free pasta has come a long way over the years, which makes my whole family happy to be able to enjoy it anytime they want. Of course, there are still occasions when I prefer to make my own gluten-free pasta for things like making gluten-free lasagna or some gluten-free ravioli. If you want more delicious gluten-free recipes, check out these recipes next.
Gluten-Free Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 1 Box Gluten-free Spaghetti
- 4 Cups Diced or Shredded Chicken
- 1 ½ Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 ½ Cups Peas
- 6 Tablespoons Butter divided
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch or Arrowroot Starch
- 2 ½ Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- ¼ Cup Parmesan
- 1 Cup Gluten-free Bread Crumbs
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Parsley
Cook the pasta.
- Cook the pasta per the box instructions, drain and set it aside.1 Box Gluten-free Spaghetti
Cook or Shred the chicken/ turkey.
- If you are using raw chicken, dice the chicken and cook it in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and parsley over medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through.4 Cups Diced or Shredded Chicken
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- If you are using a rotisserie or leftover chicken, shred the chicken and set it aside.
Saute the mushrooms.
- In the same skillet, saute the sliced mushrooms. Once the mushrooms start to brown, add the minced garlic and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes.1 ½ Cups Sliced Mushrooms, 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set them aside with the chicken.
Make the creamy pasta sauce.
- In the skillet over medium heat add 4 tablespoons of the butter and let it melt.6 Tablespoons Butter
- Whisk in the cornstarch and about a cup of the chicken stock until no lumps remain.2 ½ Cups Chicken Stock, ¼ Cup Cornstarch or Arrowroot Starch
- Slowly whisk in the remaining stock and cream and let the sauce thicken a bit.2 ½ Cups Chicken Stock, 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- One it has started to thicken add in the lemon juice, sour cream, and spices.¾ Cup Sour Cream, 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, 2 Teaspoons Salt, 1 Teaspoon Pepper, 2 Teaspoons Parsley
Add the chicken and vegetables to the sauce.
- With the sauce add back in the chicken, mushrooms, peas, and half the mozzarella cheese.4 Cups Diced or Shredded Chicken, 1 ½ Cups Sliced Mushrooms, 1 ½ Cups Peas, 1 ½ Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Toss the pasta into the sauce and mix till combined.
Transfer the pasta to a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a baking dish.
Top the chicken casserole.
- In a small bowl melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.6 Tablespoons Butter
- Toss the breadcrumbs into the melted butter along with the parmesan cheese.1 Cup Gluten-free Bread Crumbs, ¼ Cup Parmesan
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken tetrazzini with the remaining mozzarella chicken and then with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake the casserole.
- Bake the chicken tetrazzini in the 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and sauce is bubbly.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving.