This post may contain affiliate links. Click for full disclosures.
Skip the coffee shop and make your favorite caramel coffees at home with this Easy Homemade Caramel Coffee Syrup with only three ingredients!
It's 2020, and taking a trip to the local coffee shop has become a rare occurrence these days. Of course, even when I would go, I would usually make my own creamer and syrups because most of the ones there had questionable ingredients. If you aren't used to making coffee at home can seem daunting, especially if you like a little flavor in your coffee. This time of year, my go-to drink has a little bit of caramel love to it because, hello, it's fall, and one of my favorite fall treats is caramel apples. That's why I love to have a batch of my Easy 3-Ingredient Homemade Caramel Coffee Syrup on hand!
Why You'll Love It!
- It's cheaper to make than a cup of coffee at the coffee shop!
- It has only 3 ingredients!
- Easy to make and have on hand when the coffee shop vibes hit!
- It's also gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, and dairy-free.
- 100% delicious no matter what you add it to!
What are the three ingredients?
- Salt (optional)
That's it, no corn syrups, crazy food colorings, or artificial flavors. It's pure and simple homemade caramel deliciousness!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW GRAIN FREE TABLE ON PINTEREST TO MAKE IT EASY TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES!
Tips and Tricks
Be Patient - It takes a minute for the sugar and water to boil long enough for it to become caramel. Just let it go, and it will turn.
Once you start to see color form, DO NOT LEAVE because this part happens quickly once it starts, and you don't want to end up with burned caramel.
Add WARM WATER once the caramel has formed. This will help to reduce the spatter that can occur with the caramel and help to keep the caramel from hardening.
What happens if the caramel hardens with the water?
Don't worry; this just means the water was colder. Just keep the pot on the warm stove (low heat or turned off) and keep stirring. The caramel will dissolve into the water, leaving you with a golden syrup.
Taking it Up a Notch
I listed salt as an optional ingredient but trust me; you don't want to skip it. It really does add so much depth to this sauce, and it will make your coffee taste fantastic. You could even add a small splash of vanilla if you wanted.
How to Use Caramel Coffee Syrup
Simply add a teaspoon or so (depending on how much sweet you like) to your favorite cup of coffee.
Don't like coffee (I know, weird); you can easily use it to sweeten up a warm cup of hot chocolate. I know my kids love it when I make them a caramel hot cocoa.
Let's Make Some Caramel Syrup
It's super simple to make just takes a little bit of patience.
- Dissolve the sugar and some water into a saucepan.
- Let it cook slowly until the sugar mixture turns slightly golden brown.
- Remove it from the heat and add in the warm water. (Being careful)
- Add the salt. (if using)
- Allow it to cool.
- Use it in your favorite drinks whenever you want a caramel kick.
Storing Caramel Coffee Syrup
I keep it in a sealed container in my fridge right next to my coffee creamer. It will stay good in there for a month or so.
Fun Breakfasts to Enjoy with your Coffee
Quick and Easy Huevos Rancheros
Baked Vanilla Donuts with Chocolate Frosting
Crispy Skillet Breakfast Potatoes
Easy 3-Ingredient Homemade Caramel Coffee Syrup
- 1 C Sugar
- ⅓ + 1 C Water divided
- ¼ teaspoon Salt optional
- Add the ⅓ cup of water and the sugar into a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir the mixture gently with either a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon just until the sugar is dissoved.
- Stop stirring and allow the sugar to simmer over medium-low heat until it turns a golden color.
- Turn off the heat and carefully add the remaining water to the pot, stirring until the caramel is dissolved into the water yielding a syrup.
- Sprinkle in the salt (if using) and then allow the mixture to cool.
- Transfer it a container and store in the fridge for up to a month.
- When you are ready to use just add a teaspoon or so to your drink for some easy caraeml flavor.
Leave a comment.