This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
These Easy Fresh Watermelon Margaritas are guaranteed to become your go-to summer drink all season long. Grab a watermelon and let's get this party started!
Grab a watermelon, some limes, and a tequila bottle because we make the easiest summer drink today. That's right; I am talking about making Watermelon Margaritas! These are super simple to make and perfect for all your summertime gatherings, no matter what you are doing.
I am a HUGE watermelon fan. I wait all year for those perfectly juicy and sweet watermelons to come into season, and then we pretty much buy several a week because we can go through watermelon really fast in our house. Who am I kidding? The whole family loves watermelon.
Of course, it's summer again, and while this summer is a little different, we have had our socially distant fun with the neighbors. I can't say it's been totally easy to do, but we've been making the most of it since the kids have needed to see other kids. Even it means riding bikes and scooters while staying six feet apart. It's not the pool, but it's better than staying inside all day. I mean, there are only so many times this mama can tell them to get off the video games or Facetime with their friends, lol while still playing video games. 2020 has for sure been a year that we won't quickly forget, lol.
Anyways back to these margaritas because I'm sure we can all use one, and well, these are just perfect for brightening up any day!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW GRAIN FREE TABLE ON PINTEREST TO MAKE IT EASY TO SAVE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES!
Ingredients in Watermelon Margaritas
- Lime Juice
- Sweetener (optional)
How to Pick a Good Watermelon
- It should be HEAVY for its size.
- Look for a creamy yellow/ brown spot on only one side of the watermelon.
- Look for pollination points - These look like brownish, rough spots with dots in rows. These spots mean it will be sweeter.
- Tap your watermelon; does it sound hollow? That's what you want!
- Is it round or long? I've found that the more round a watermelon is, the sweeter it tends to be.
The Best Tequila
Tequila comes in all types and ranges from clear to amber. The two main types of tequila are mixtos and 100% agave. I ALWAYS buy 100% Blue Agave Tequila. I usually buy the 1800 Silver because it's easy to find locally, and I know it's gluten-free.
Over-ice or Frozen Margaritas
You can do these either way, depending on what you want. The biggest difference is the time to make. I ALWAYS freeze my watermelon for a few hours. If I am going to make them frozen this way, I am not watering them down by adding more ice to the mixture when I make them. I mean, watermelon is mostly water already. Plus, when you freeze the watermelon, you get this fun, almost icy, frothy texture that just makes the margarita a little more fun!
To Freeze Watermelon:
- Cube the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon into the freezer.
- Let it chill for about 4 hours. You don't want it completely frozen because it will be harder to blend later on.
How to Make Watermelon Margaritas
- Prepare the watermelon.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, and sweetener if desired.
- Shake or blend as desired, and enjoy!
Do you Strain the Watermelon?
This is a total preference. I will always seed my watermelon full of black seeds if they are present and most white ones before I freeze and blend the watermelon. I do NOT strain the watermelon when I am making them frozen because I like its texture.
However, if you want it over ice and want a smoother drink, I recommend straining the watermelon juice once you blend it. I also wouldn't freeze it if you plan to strain it because it will make it harder to strain the watermelon juice.
Tips and Tricks
Adding Sweetener - We all know sometimes watermelons are not as sweet as we want them to be. When I find I get one that needs just a little bit of help, I will add a few teaspoon of a liquid sweetener like agave, honey, or even simple syrup. Just add a little bit at a time until you get the right amount of sweetness.
Adding Heat - While it's not for everyone, I like I muddle a few slices of jalapeno with the lime juice before adding it to the margaritas. Then it adds a little bit of unexpected heat that makes these even more delicious, especially if you aren't one who likes things on the sweeter side.
What to Serve with Watermelon Margaritas
These are delicious with just about anything you're cooking, but I am partial to pairing them with some more Mexican food fun since there is tequila.
Grilled Mexican Street Cauliflower Bites
Of course they still go perfect with Hamburgers too!
Easy Fresh Watermelon Margaritas
- 4 C Watermelon fresh or frozen as desired
- 3 Limes juiced
- 8 oz Tequila
- Sweetner of Chocie optional
- Sliced Watermelon, limes, salt or sugar to garnish the rims optional
Prepare the Watermelon
- If you are making frozen margaritas, cube and freeze your watermelon for about 4 hours.
- If you are making non-frozen margaritas blend the watermelon and strain the resulting juice if desired.
Making the Margarita
- In a small pitcher, combine the prepared watermelon, lime juice, tequila, and sweetener if desired and stir.
- Pour into prepared glasses and enjoy!
Leave a comment.