This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
This Kale and Chorizo Soup has tons of flavor and an added little bit of heat that will keep you warm all season long!
If you've ever had a canned vegetable-based soup, you've probably had your fill of mushy and tasteless, am I right? This is not your average vegetable soup. This Kale and Chorizo Soup has tons of flavor and an added little bit of heat with some chorizo sausage. This is probably honestly my favorite soup because I love my soups a little more on the hearty side when it comes to vegetables.
Isn't Chorizo Really Spicy?
Some are yes, and some are downright off the scales hot, but not all of them are. Finding a tasty (gluten-free) chorizo hasn't always been easy over the years, but I've found asking my local butcher what they think tends to help a lot.
What Kind of Chorizo is Used?
Since chorizo comes in many different forms, it often comes in casings if you are buying it at the store. If you want, you can slice and leave them in the casings. I tend to split them open if I buy them this way and then brown the meat and discarding the casings.
Can You Make Chorizo?
Absolutely! I make chorizo all the time. The trick is to get a good cut of fattier pork and have the butcher grind it up for you. If all I can find is leaner pork already ground, I will add about ¼ of reserved bacon fat to the meat as I mix it with helping not only with flavor but also texture.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
Ingredients in Kale and Chorizo Soup
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Nut Milk
- White Kidney Beans (optional)
Does this soup freeze well?
Yes, this soup freezes and reheats really well. The only thing is that the kale will become softer in the process. If you prefer less soft kale and plan to freeze this soup for later, reserve the kale and add it when you reheat it. It will cook slightly in the process and be closer to the texture from when it was first made.
More Soup Recipes
Kale and Chorizo Soup
- 1 lb Chorizo Sausage
- 2 TBS Avocado Oil
- 2 C Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- 1 Large Head of Kale chopped
- 4 C Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ C Whole Fat Coconut Milk or leave out if desired
- 1 15OZ White Kidney Beans
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Roughly chop all the vegetables.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the avocado oil and the sausage and cook until it is done.
- Add the chopped vegetables (except the kale) and garlic. Let them saute with the meat, stirring occasionally to let them caramelize a little bit.
- Add the chicken broth and coconut milk, or milk of choice and beans if you are using them, along with the spices.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the reserved kale, cover the soup and let it continue to simmer about 5 more minutes or until the kale softens to the desired consistency.
- Serve warm!