This Easy 5 Minute Pizza Sauce is the perfect addition to all your pizza night cravings. If you want to take your pizza from good to amazing, you need this sauce!
Homemade Pizza Sauce
If you've been around here for a while, then you know that pizza is a weekly occurrence in our house. Every Friday night, its pizza and a movie night. There might be a rare night when we don't, but it's always made up some other night.
Just like with my homemade gluten-free pizza crust recipe we like, I like to make my sauce. I find it really does make a homemade pizza from good to amazing. I mean, who doesn't love the flavors of fresh herbs to make their pizza sauce not taste like you pasted some blah tomato substance under all the yummy toppings.
Trust me if you've never made homemade pizza sauce you need to!
Ingredients in Pizza Sauce
This pizza sauce can be made with pantry staples. You can use fresh or dried herbs in this sauce so you can use what you have on hand.
- Olive Oil
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Onion or Onion Powder
- Garlic - This is the one ingredient I always use fresh. Trust me; you will taste a difference.
- Fennel Seed
- Crushed Red Pepper
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS AND SUBSCRIBER ONLY BONUSES.
How to Make Pizza Sauce
You can make this in a matter of seconds by just adding all the ingredients together in a food processor or blender.
You can also choose to cook the pizza sauce. This little step is my preferred method, especially if I am using any fresh herbs I have on hand. I find it just takes the flavor over the top. It doesn't take long at all, but it lets the flavors develop a little bit more as the sauce steeps.
I will usually let it simmer while I get the pizza crust and toppings ready.
Can you make this sauce ahead of time?
Yes! This sauce is something I like to make double and triple batches of at a time and store since we have pizza night every week, and I want to have it on hand.
Once you have the sauce made and cooled, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, you can place it in the freezer.
Just let it defrost on the counter or in the microwave when you are ready to use it.
More Uses For Homemade Pizza Sauce
Of course, you can use this to top your gluten-free pizza crust, but it doesn't stop there!
- Use this easy sauce to dip your gluten-free mozzarella sticks into.
- Spoon it over some meatballs, topped with some mozzarella, and stuffed it into some fresh crusty bread.
- You could even add it to your favorite soups to add a delicious tomato kick!
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- If you are using fresh onions, mince them and add them to the olive oil into a medium saucepan. Allow them to saute a few minutes until they become slightly golden.
- Add the garlic to the olive oil and onions and allow it to become fragrant 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a low simmer.
- Let the sauce simmer 5-10 minutes for the flavors to develop.