This post may contain affiliate links. Click for complete disclosures.
These gluten-free ice cream sandwiches bring back all the memories of the ice cream truck with soft chocolate gluten-free wafer cookies sandwiched together around your favorite ice cream!
Summer is here and I thought you could use a fun little treat to help cool off from all the heat. I mean, who doesn't want a gluten-free frozen treat to enjoy? These gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are easy to make and can be customized to fit whatever flavor combination you like most.
Are ice cream sandwiches gluten-free?
Ice cream is usually gluten-free, with some exceptions. Ice cream sandwiches are not typically gluten-free since ice cream sandwiches use a cookie or some kind of cake surrounding the ice cream with is made from gluten.
These gluten-free ice cream sandwiches have a cookie that is firm enough to hold it all together while still staying soft enough to eat, right out of the freezer. No one wants their ice cream sandwich to melt all over them.
Did I mention they are totally grain-free? Oh, yea, cause they are!
- Cassava Flour
- Arrowroot Starch
- Potato Starch - If you can't find potato starch (not potato flour), you can sub in corn starch or add additional arrowroot. The cookie will be slightly softer, but it still tastes delicious.
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Butter - You can also use a dairy-free alternative. I've found earth balance sticks work well in this recipe.
- Baking Soda
- Milk of Choice - Dairy or dairy-free both work in this recipe.
- Ice Cream - You can't have an ice cream sandwich without ice cream. I prefer to make my own vanilla ice cream to go with these or even my dairy-free ice cream when I want to keep them dairy-free but feel free to use what you prefer.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag a photo #grainfreetable or @grainfreetable on Instagram. I'd love to see what you come up with!
How to make gluten-free wafer cookies for making ice cream sandwiches?
- Cream the butter and sugars
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the batter.
- Chill the dough
- Roll the dough
- Bake the cookies.
How do you make ice cream sandwiches?
- Bake the chocolate wafer cookies.
- Place one piece of wafer cookie top side down.
- Add the layer of ice cream on top.
- Sandwich the ice cream layer with another wafer cookie on top.
How to soften ice without melting it to make ice cream sandwiches?
The easiest way to soften ice cream is to place the container in the fridge for about fifteen minutes. While the ice cream is softening like a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Once the ice cream is softened, spread it out into an even layer in the baking pan. Place another piece of parchment paper over the layer of ice cream and place it back into the freezer. When you want to make your ice cream sandwiches, use the parchment paper to help remove the ice cream from the baking pan. Cut the ice cream into desired shapes and assemble.
What is the best way to cut homemade ice cream sandwiches?
You can cut and assemble these gluten-free ice cream sandwiches in a few different ways.
Cut in layers:
- Place one of the sheets of baked and chilled cookies upside down.
- Layer the sheet of ice cream on top.
- Add another layer of cookie to the ice cream.
- Cut into squares or rectangles.
- Wrap the individual cookies with plastic wrap and keep them in the freezer until you are ready to eat.
Use cookie cutters to cut homemade ice cream sandwiches.
Once the ice cream is frozen into a layer and the cookies are frozen, you can easily use your favorite cutters to cut them into desired shapes. Just cut the cookies and ice cream and then sandwich them together. This method does make for a little bit more work but it is fun to shape these homemade ice cream sandwiches.
Tips and tricks for making homemade ice cream sandwiches.
- Chill the Dough/ Cookies - This gluten-free ice cream sandwich recipe is not hard, but it does take some time.
- *You want to make sure to chill the dough before rolling it out between pieces of parchment paper. If your dough sticks to the parchment, let it chill for 30 minutes or so, and it should release one side so you can bake it.
- The gluten-free wafer cookies do puff a little in the oven. Be sure to roll the cookies to about half the thickness that you want the final ice cream sandwich cookies to be. I tend to roll the cookie dough to about an eighth of an inch thick.
- *Once the cookies are baked, chill them again until they are completely frozen (2-3 hours) before cutting and shaping; making them easier to assemble.
Can you make gluten-free and dairy-free ice cream sandwiches?
Yes, these gluten-free ice cream sandwiches can be made dairy-free. This can be done by substituting the butter for a dairy-free alternative and using dairy-free ice cream when you are assembling the ice cream sandwiches.
How do you store homemade ice cream sandwiches?
Once these gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are assembled, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or wax paper and place them in a container in the freezer.
How long do homemade ice cream sandwiches last in the freezer?
These homemade gluten-free ice cream sandwiches will last in the freezer for about three months when they are wrapped and kept in a sealed container.
Making ice cream sandwiches more fun!
Cut these into any shape you want. You can even mix it up with a fun ice cream flavor. I've even dipped them in chocolate and sprinkles before freezing for an extra special treat. The possibilities are endless, so have fun with them!
Gluten-free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- ¾ Cup Cassava Flour
- ⅖ Cup Arrowroot Starch
- ½ Cup Potato Starch or sub corn starch or additional arrowroot starch.
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 6 Tablespoons Butter or shortening or dairy-free alternative
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Sallt
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- ⅔ Cup Milk or dairy-free alternative.
- 1 Quart Ice Cream of Choice
Make the dough
- Cream the butter and sugars. You want to make sure these are completely combined and the mixture is fluffy.6 Tablespoons Butter, ½ Cup Sugar, ¼ Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- Add the dry ingredients To the sugar mixture add the dry ingredients. The mixture will be dry and crumbly.¾ Cup Cassava Flour, ⅖ Cup Arrowroot Starch, ½ Cup Potato Starch, ½ Cup Cocoa Powder, ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ Teaspoon Sallt
- Add the vanilla and the milk and mix till combined. The dough will look like a soft cookie dough.1 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla, ⅔ Cup Milk
- Place the dough into the shape of a disc on plastic wrap and wrap it tight. Place it in the fridge for about an hour.
- Cut the dough in half and place the half between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough until it's about an ⅛ in thick. At this point, if the dough has become soft and the parchment is sticking, place it on a baking sheet and back into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. Once frozen, the top piece of parchment paper should release.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- In a preheated 350 degree oven, bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. The cookies should look dull when they are done.
- Once the cookies are baked, let them cool and place them into the freezer for at least 2 hours or longer until solid. This will help make it easier to assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
Make the ice cream layer.
- While the cookies bake, spread your desired ice cream into a flat layer. I like to line a baking pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Spread the ice cream, cover it and place it back into the freezer to set up.1 Quart Ice Cream of Choice
Assemble the ice cream sandwiches as desired.
- Cut the cookies and the ice cream into desired shapes and assemble. You can also layer the cookie and ice cream before cutting them into squares.
Chill the ice cream sandwiches.
- Wrap the individual ice cream sandwiches and place them into a freezer-safe container in the freezer.
- These are best once the assembled ice cream sandwiches have been chilling for at least 4-6 hours.
- When you are ready to eat, there is no need to defrost. Just remove an individual ice cream sandwich from the freezer and enjoy.
Leave a comment.