Gluten-free Mozzarella Sticks
These gluten-free mozzarella sticks have a delicious crispy golden breading on the outside and cheesy goodness on the inside.
- 1 Block Mozzarella Cheese Or string cheese pieces.
- ½ Cup 1:1 Gluten-free Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Gluten-free Breadcrumbs
- 2 Large Eggs beaten
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
Cut the mozzarella cheese.
Make the gluten-free breading station.
In a small bowl, place the gluten-free flour.
½ Cup 1:1 Gluten-free Flour
In another small bowl, place the eggs, whisking them till mixed.
2 Large Eggs
In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining spices.
1 ½ Cups Gluten-free Breadcrumbs, ½ Teaspoon Salt, ¼ Teaspoon Pepper, ½ Teaspoon Parsley, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
Bread the mozzarella cheese.
Dip the pieces of mozzarella cheese into the flour.
Then dip the cheese into the egg wash.
Place the piece of cheese back into the flour and then back into the egg to get a double coat on the cheese.
After the double dip into the egg, coat the piece of cheese with the gluten-free bread crumbs.
Place the breaded mozzarella stick onto a baking sheet.
Repeat with the remaining pieces of cheese.
Freeze the mozzarella sticks.
Cook the gluten-free mozzarella sticks.
Warm a skillet with oil about two inches deep over medium heat. You want to warm the oil till it reaches 325-350 degrees.
Once your oil is hot, remove the cheese sticks from the freezer.
Carefully fry the cheese sticks a few at a time, turning as needed until the coating is nice and crispy, and the cheese feels soft to the touch.
Allow them to drain some paper towels slightly to remove any excess oil.
Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
Bake the mozzarella sticks for about 15-18 minutes until the breading is set, and the cheese is soft.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees.
Place the gluten-free mozzarella sticks into the airy fryer in a single layer.
Lightly spray them with oil.
Airy fry the mozzarella sticks for 8 minutes.
Rotate the mozzarella sticks and then fry for another 8 minutes.
Tips and tricks for the best mozzarella sticks.
- Use string cheese sticks - Really, this is the super simple solution because they are already in shape without cutting a bunch of pieces. I just usually cut them in half to make them shorter and easier to work with.
- Double or triple coat. - This isn't 100% necessary, but trust me, it does help keep the coating on the outside and the cheese on the inside while cooking them.
- Keep hands separate when breading. - Keeping one hand in the wet and using the other for the dry breading will keep your hands from becoming coated.
- Freeze - Do you have to freeze mozzarella sticks before cooking them? This might sound odd, but trust me. Freezing the mozzarella sticks before freezing them lets the gluten-free breading get crispy, and the cheese gets gooey without the cheese ending up oozing all over the place.
- Watch the oil temperature if you are frying them - If you want that gentle cheese pull and perfect cheese texture, don't let your oil get overheated. I like to keep mine about 325-350 degrees. If the oil gets too hot, the breading will cook, but you'll be left with a typical string cheese texture inside, or the cheese will get overly heated and melt into the oil.